Today I am hesitant; hesitant to take down my Christmas tree. Christmas is more than a holiday, it is a frame of mind. A time filled with joy, magic, and a time to make new memories with loved ones and friends. I am sad to let that feeling go.
Typically, I keep my tree up to the new year, but I am feeling the pull to take it down today. It is time to let 2012 go and embrace what 2013 will bring.
My one word resolution for 2012 was connect. By choosing this word, I hoped that my heart would make the connection to the knowledge that was already present in my mind. I wanted to feel everything possible. I wanted to know everything possible. This word brought me many challenges, but changed me for the better.
- I lost my job and endured unemployment for 5 months (second time around). Through that time, I spent time with a friend who provided a safe place (guilt and shame free) for me to be me (the good, bad, and the ugly).
- I ran two half marathons – one in Austin, TX and one in Nashville, TN. I learned that my body still has miles to go before I am completely healthy.
- I entered my book into another writing contest, but did not place. I learned that my book was not quite finished and I had to live out a few more chapters before it was complete.
- A momma bird took residence in my Boston fern to give birth to her babies. Throughout the 6 week process, I learned that there is a process to freedom. You have to wait out the process before you can take flight.
- I was deceived by people who I thought were my friends and I learned first hand who they truly were. Their actions allowed me to close the door guilt free. This created room for the new – positive and healthy new relationships.
- I learned that the best Halloween costume is confidence and it never goes out of style.
- I learned there is life outside of being broken. There is freedom, there is peace, and there is everlasting joy.
- Most importantly, I learned that I would have never made these connections without my relationship with God. He made this word, connection, come to life, and provided profound revelation that has provided the foundation for an explosive 2013.
Whatever this year means for you, I hope it was a year of growth and another year of blessings.
Cheers to 2013!!